Malaysian bikers planning to ride to Kolyma track

Dear fellow bikers ! i am Assir @ One Dollar from Malaysia planning to ride with few BMW GS bikes from Mongolia to Ulan Ude, then towards Yakutsk, Magadan and then back to Yakutsk, continue towards Chita, Khabarovsk and finishing in Vladivostok. Ride is planned in September 2014.
I would request if anybody here, who has rode in this area to share their experiences and route maps or some local bikers in this area that can help.
So my concerns are like these :
1. is september month beginning october suitable for riding by bike on that route ?
2. is it advisable to take this route on BMW GSA 1200 ?
3. What are the road conditions ? anyone can give pictures of the area ?
just in case my email is assir522@yahoo.com and please drop a message if you have any information.

by the way i also like to tell if you are interested to ride in Malaysia, there is newly opened company that does BMW bike rentals (GS LC) and customized routes. Thanks
Spasibo !

Aii GS riders are crasy people :)

Отправлено из моего iPhone .

[video=youtube;sIRTrsabL_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIRTrsabL_M[/video]

I recommend you this song as main theme of your crazy trip "towards Magadan" :)

about the road conditions - there is no roads, only directions :) but GSA should pass
about the pictures - you can have a look on google maps pictures linked to the location

Hi Assir,

I'm not sure about this forum, there are some people who might have the knowledge you need, especially from OffroadPeople team, but they do not come here often, let's hope they spot your post and maybe get in touch via email.

What you can do is go to advrider.com forums, and search for threads by Walter Colebatch (username colebatch), maybe even send him a PM there. He is an acknowedged expert in that area, and will probably have some data and advice for you.

From what I have read (by Walter and others), GSA1200 can make it, especially if well prepared and if you are lucky with weather and do not attempt to go to much offroad. BUT, it is heavy and if you have rainy weather and choose tricky roads, you will be going very slow, and will be miserable most of the time - because it is a heavy bike, and you will be very tired and spend a lot of efforts to overcome obstacles. Lighter bikes, such as 650cc class thumpers, are mostly recommended for those who want to spend more time riding and enjoying than struggling. Disclaimer: this is not my direct opinion, I have no personal experience; but this is what I have read in many ride reports from people who have gone there.

In any case, I wish you luck and good roads!

А по нашему можно? Други переведите, плиз.

Пы.сы. Hi Assir. xvz13@mai.ru velkam in Vladivostok

Последнее редактирование:
Какой вопрос такой и ответ, хотя может я так перевел. А так велком. Хотя в сентябре на Магадане прохладно.

Юра, основной вопрос.
смогут ли проехать от Якутска до Магадана.
поспрашай своих кто катался.
может на мотофорумах ваших дальневосточных
Спасибо

Юра, основной вопрос.
смогут ли проехать от Якутска до Магадана.
поспрашай своих кто катался.
может на мотофорумах ваших дальневосточных
Спасибо

Я б не рекомендовал ехать во второй половине сентября.
В тех местах лето короткое, а осень быстрая. Можно попасть в хорошие заморозки и снегопад. По инглиш мало шарю, пусть пишут у меня Лена хорошо владеет, отпишусь. Дай им мои контакты, рад буду оказать помощ.

Assir, here is an opinion from the local inhabitant: "This is bad idea to ride towards Magadan on late september. It is very short autumn here, you can get early frosts and blizzard on your way".

Changing to use 4x4

Dear all here,

I am very thankful with all your comments and advice. Basically I personally never traveled on this road before, therefore I am planning to switch to 4x4. Will go there and experience the terrain and place before next time will take my bike there. Thank you so much again

Spasibo

Hello!
And before the start, please gime me the detailes of Your journey to help You with official letters and some coordinations with regional governments by Your route.
wolfnomads@mail.ru
Good Luck!

Назад
Сверху Снизу